Metastatic lung cancer is the condition in which the cancer which originated in the lungs spreads to some other primary point in the body such as prostate, kidney and so on. Approximately 85% to 90% of lung cancer diagnosis are non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). In this condition cancer cells form tissues in the lungs.
There are various types of treatments available and the patient working with the doctor would have to decide the right course of action. Lung cancer treatment would also depend on factors such as age, medical history, the type of primary tumor, the location of the tumor, the size of the tumor and the number of tumors present. The objective of the treatment is to control the growth of the cancer and to ease its symptoms. Here are 5 popular lung cancer treatments that are available:
- Chemotherapy: It is one of the primary treatments for metastatic lung cancer. This therapy helps to destroy cancerous cells in the body through aggressive chemical drug therapy. This is also a preferred method in cases where the cancer has advanced and spread to other organs in the body.
- Xalkori: Crizotinib is an advanced lung cancer treatment with thes also known by its brand name Xalkori. A tyrosine kinase inhibitor, Crizotinib blocks an enzyme called anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK), and it works only on the cells that have an overactive version of ALK. About 5% of NSCLC have this disease, and it is called ALK positive disease.
- Radiation Therapy: This lung cancer treatment uses high-energy radiation to help shrink the tumors and destroy the cancer cells. It might be used when the cancer is present in just one area.
- Laser Therapy: This treatment includes the use of high-intensity light to destroy tumors and cancer cells and the placement of stents or tiny tubes in the airways to keep them open. It can also be used to burn away a part of a tumor, which may be blocking an airway.
- Other medications: Some other medications for metastatic lung cancer are prescribed to relieve specific symptoms; these include steroids, muscle relaxants, and painkillers.